Skip to main content

UCS Afternoon Update

Good morning investors. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Wow! This summer seems to be flying by. There is so much making news that it's sometimes hard to focus on what needs to be focused on. Well, strong day so far, with technology issues such as CSCO, INTC, ORCL dominating the most Actives, but the most spectacular of all the Actives is the company Human Genome Sciences, Inc: HGSI ; the stock is up 224% on good news of its Lupus drug and of a possible partnership with large deep-pocketed commercial company.

Ah, the joys of technology- that's the ticket. Of course, you can get many of the best, quality technology companies in the ProShares Technology Fund which might I say is 6 points above its 30 day moving average of $30 per share. It's made a major breakout. I am still researching three technology ETF funds that I believe will do well and will hopefully have them posted soon.

7/20/2009 1:20 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Update

By Rick Walter Still working on putting together a strong biotech portfolio. Here is a good general article on the state of the biotech industry that was posted yesterday on the online Wall Street Journal's site- Biotech Stocks Hot Right Now, Ho-Hum in the Long Run.

Portfolio Update

By Rick Walter I have posted a new Biotechnology portfolio . It's total return as of November 25, 2009 is 3.4%. However, to download and use it you will have to subscribe to the portfolio, of course. On an important note, I consider each portfolio to be well diversified in its particular sector but I've recently decided to add stock futures and options positions to each portfolio which will increase each portfolio's return but lower the risks going forward.

Whose lending?

Troubled times ahead for everyone it seems. Credit markets still seems to be troubled. The Federal Reserve stands willing to provide liquidity to the markets although modestly. If I was running a pretty profitable business and I needed capital now, could I rely on my existing banking relationship to provide me the capital now? Here is an article in the WSJ on "Prior Loans, Future Pain?" Link . This article is free, no subscription needed . I guess the answer might be how much you need and the terms, but wouldn't you feel slighted if you had a banking relationship with your banker for lets say 10 years and you asked your banker to increase your credit line by about an additional 40% and they said no. In this scenario, with all things being equal, of good personal credit and business scores, pretty robust industry growth projections, and business debt to credit ratio of 1.20 or better. What would be the reason(s) for a bank decline? I called and left a message to a banker...