Skip to main content

Investment Word of the Day: Price-To-Sales-Ratio

Valuing a company is one of the toughest things to do Wall Street. Many investors look at a company's Price-to-Sales ratio to help them determine the value of a company.

The price-to-sales ratio (Price/Sales or P/S) provides a simple approach: take the company's market capitalization (the number of shares multiplied by the share price) and divide it by the company's total sales over the past 12 months. The lower the ratio, the more attractive the investment. Price-to-sales provides a useful measure for sizing up stocks.

For example, The Price-to-Sales ratio of  Alphabet ($Google) is 6.76, whereas the Price-to-Sales ratio of GoPro Inc Class A ($GPRO) is 1.56. Which stock is a better buy? You may leave your comments below.

Brought to you by ThrushyMedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Update

By Rick Walter Still working on putting together a strong biotech portfolio. Here is a good general article on the state of the biotech industry that was posted yesterday on the online Wall Street Journal's site- Biotech Stocks Hot Right Now, Ho-Hum in the Long Run.

Portfolio Update

By Rick Walter I have posted a new Biotechnology portfolio . It's total return as of November 25, 2009 is 3.4%. However, to download and use it you will have to subscribe to the portfolio, of course. On an important note, I consider each portfolio to be well diversified in its particular sector but I've recently decided to add stock futures and options positions to each portfolio which will increase each portfolio's return but lower the risks going forward.

Whose lending?

Troubled times ahead for everyone it seems. Credit markets still seems to be troubled. The Federal Reserve stands willing to provide liquidity to the markets although modestly. If I was running a pretty profitable business and I needed capital now, could I rely on my existing banking relationship to provide me the capital now? Here is an article in the WSJ on "Prior Loans, Future Pain?" Link . This article is free, no subscription needed . I guess the answer might be how much you need and the terms, but wouldn't you feel slighted if you had a banking relationship with your banker for lets say 10 years and you asked your banker to increase your credit line by about an additional 40% and they said no. In this scenario, with all things being equal, of good personal credit and business scores, pretty robust industry growth projections, and business debt to credit ratio of 1.20 or better. What would be the reason(s) for a bank decline? I called and left a message to a banker...