Skip to main content

Whose lending?

Troubled times ahead for everyone it seems. Credit markets still seems to be troubled. The Federal Reserve stands willing to provide liquidity to the markets although modestly. If I was running a pretty profitable business and I needed capital now, could I rely on my existing banking relationship to provide me the capital now?

Here is an article in the
WSJ on "Prior Loans, Future Pain?" Link. This article is free, no subscription needed.

I guess the answer might be how much you need and the terms, but wouldn't you feel slighted if you had a banking relationship with your banker for lets say 10 years and you asked your banker to increase your credit line by about an additional 40% and they said no. In this scenario, with all things being equal, of good personal credit and business scores, pretty robust industry growth projections, and business debt to credit ratio of 1.20 or better. What would be the reason(s) for a bank decline? I called and left a message to a banker that I regularly deal with and I also called one of the businesses that was referenced in the WSJ article to see if I could get some feedback on this situation. I will posts their responses if and when they return my call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morning Update

By Rick Walter Still working on putting together a strong biotech portfolio. Here is a good general article on the state of the biotech industry that was posted yesterday on the online Wall Street Journal's site- Biotech Stocks Hot Right Now, Ho-Hum in the Long Run.

Portfolio Update

By Rick Walter I have posted a new Biotechnology portfolio . It's total return as of November 25, 2009 is 3.4%. However, to download and use it you will have to subscribe to the portfolio, of course. On an important note, I consider each portfolio to be well diversified in its particular sector but I've recently decided to add stock futures and options positions to each portfolio which will increase each portfolio's return but lower the risks going forward.

Biotech Pump and Dump

By Rick Walter Building a good Biotechnology portfolio has turned out to be a bit of a task. I have one on the table, but feel that it's a little too aggressive and risky, especially for today's market. Funding for most Biotech ventures- old or new, have either dried up or have been put on hold. This portfolio that I am building is too much of a pure Biotech play. It would be feast or famine on the returns. Let me explain. I remember when I was a young broker, I worked for this small outfit in Florida where the office manager and a few other brokers, including myself, would get all pumped up over a stock called Celi. I believe that the stock is now trading on the Amex as (Cel-Sci: CVM ). Well the stock was always on the verge of getting approval for some phase of cancer treatment therapy. Whenever the company released news, we would run the stock up as high as the market makers would let us run it- ($1.30 to $2.30 per share) before we banged it back down to previous lows of .30...