Skip to main content

Mid-afternoon update

I should be posting more but its still summer, and I am 'blaming it on the alcohol'. Ha-ha. Hung out with an old classmate last night until 2 AM this morning; catching up on where and what we've done so far in life and of course, we were trying to score with hot chicks in the bar. Didn't happen. Lol! I didn't drink much, just a couple of beers, but wow-w, this morning I felt like I had been drinking all night. Mid-afternoon and I am still trying to shake it off.

Parsing the Feds- excerpt from August 12, 2009 press release:

"Information received since the Federal Open Market Committee met in June suggests that economic activity is leveling out. Conditions in financial markets have improved further in recent weeks."
What does that mean? Hmm! Leveling out, leveling, leveling out. Hmm! Leveling out to or from the sharp 90 degree downward economic spiral that the economy experienced over the last 24 months? OK, the Feds didn't really say much. Meaning, we may have to wait until the next meeting to get a stronger signal and direction from the Feds. Maybe my friend and expert economist, Todd McKissick knows. I will see what he thinks, if I can get a hold of him this weekend.

The buzz on the street is that China and India are going to lead the world economy out of the recession. I don't really believe that, but what if? This weekend I will take a firmer look at ETFs funds and mutual funds that invest in China or emerging markets funds. It should be interesting to see what I come up with. Will post findings next week on blog.

8/13/2009 12:29 PM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Old Reality is Still the New Reality

The Old Reality is Still the New Reality  Dodd Frank Illustration   I sat at my desk last week wondering what went wrong. Was I experiencing some type of trading depression? I checked my models, macro numbers, company profits, software, pricing etc. Some of my option contracts were either worthless or were on their way to being worthless.   The pricing of the contracts were not in-line with the actual underlying price of the securities that I was trading. The options' pricing per contract were either priced 40% or more above what the underlying security was worth or priced 40% or more below what the securities were worth. This old reality was still the new reality even after all of financial fixes implemented to fix these same problems that contributed to the financial meltdown in 2007-2008.   The new Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and ConsumerProtection Act which was supposed to clean up many of the abuses in the financial system such as accountability, transpare

What to Buy- Foreign vs Domestic funds?

Calm before the storm. At least that's what I've been reading. It seems that there is still not much buying. Much of the buying seems to be just shifting funds from one account to the next. It's called "churning" in broker turns. So, I wanted to see if anyone was buying, you know, new money. I clicked on over the Investment Company Institute website to see if they could shed some light on this matter. Based on their recent reports, "Estimated inflows to long-term mutual funds were $ 12.48 billion for the week ended Wednesday, June 10, 2009 ", versus $ 13.646 billion for the week of June 3. At least it wasn't negative. There is buying. As a matter of fact, buying has almost doubled compared to inflow numbers reported in May. I also noticed that Equity Foreign Funds had a larger percentage increase than other categories while Taxable Bond Funds had a noticeable percentage decrease in inflows as compared to the previous periods. Interesting. Are in