Skip to main content

Building your bank!

Wow, what a horrible week! I lost $742 dollars in the currency markets or 33% of my original investment. I consider myself lucky though, I had only invested $2,250. Still, I could not get it right. Luckily I have a secret weapon to handle all of this insanity.
Meet the newest member of the family. It's Pepe at 3 weeks! Wow-e-e. Isn't he sweet! My insanity cure all!

Trading on the Forex can be ver-r-ry tough. For example, I tried trading the EUR/USD pair, but that position completely reversed on me after a few days; of course, I reversed my positions but the pair stabilized and went the other way. I tried the USD/JPY pair as the dollar was showing some good strength against other currencies based on the Feds interest rate cut a few weeks ago, but that position just ended up stalling for three days. I tried the EUR/JPY pair, but nothing there. That pair again just stalled then went south after three days of flip flopping around. In the meantime I just kept losing money. By Thursday night- I was so disgusted that I just liquidated all of my positions in all three pairs. I was in such a bad mood. I felt like writing a congressman, writing the FCC or the SEC to complain about unfair trading practices, bid rigging and all sorts of imagined slights against me- the small investor. However, Friday morning I checked closing prices on all currencies pairs, including the pairs that I trade, and they were all down substantially- 100 to 200 pips.

For those of you that are just reading our blog, we are building a bank portfolio- for the long run of course, that will weather the current crisis well and make us a lot of money. In addition, I will point out the bank stock that is most likely to give you the most bang for the buck as we build our bank portfolio in a very unfriendly banking environment.
We started with BBT Corporation (BBT:$34.06) and iShares Trust- Dow Jones US Fin Sec (IYF: 82.51), on 4/12/2008. We are adding JP Morgan (JPM: $46.57) at the closing price per share on 5/9/2008. Our portfolio of three stocks is up by 3.01% as of 5/11/2008- commissions to purchase the positions not included.
I recommend starting with an iShares security in this uncertain market environment- each iShare represents a proportion of ownership in each stock that makes up an index. iShares are a great way for smaller investors to get the diversification of 50 or more companies without having to buy each individual stock.
Check our blog at the end of the week to see if we have added or reduced positions in our 'Building your Bank ' series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Old Reality is Still the New Reality

The Old Reality is Still the New Reality  Dodd Frank Illustration   I sat at my desk last week wondering what went wrong. Was I experiencing some type of trading depression? I checked my models, macro numbers, company profits, software, pricing etc. Some of my option contracts were either worthless or were on their way to being worthless.   The pricing of the contracts were not in-line with the actual underlying price of the securities that I was trading. The options' pricing per contract were either priced 40% or more above what the underlying security was worth or priced 40% or more below what the securities were worth. This old reality was still the new reality even after all of financial fixes implemented to fix these same problems that contributed to the financial meltdown in 2007-2008.   The new Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and ConsumerProtection Act which was supposed to clean up many of the abuses in the financial system such as accountability, transpare

What to Buy- Foreign vs Domestic funds?

Calm before the storm. At least that's what I've been reading. It seems that there is still not much buying. Much of the buying seems to be just shifting funds from one account to the next. It's called "churning" in broker turns. So, I wanted to see if anyone was buying, you know, new money. I clicked on over the Investment Company Institute website to see if they could shed some light on this matter. Based on their recent reports, "Estimated inflows to long-term mutual funds were $ 12.48 billion for the week ended Wednesday, June 10, 2009 ", versus $ 13.646 billion for the week of June 3. At least it wasn't negative. There is buying. As a matter of fact, buying has almost doubled compared to inflow numbers reported in May. I also noticed that Equity Foreign Funds had a larger percentage increase than other categories while Taxable Bond Funds had a noticeable percentage decrease in inflows as compared to the previous periods. Interesting. Are in