Skip to main content
Welcome to my first blog on Hedge Fund 2.0. This is my first blog and the goal of this blog is to educate and entertain investors that prefer to invest in Hedge Funds or other types of high risk investments, and to indirectly promote my start-up family of hedge funds that I started three years ago; the UCS Funds, a series of funds that target specific industries and companies, commodity like investments for high returns with the benefits of tax credits.

Secondly, I will be posting and discussing different types of investments in the form of emails, pictures, links, and interviews which will support why I believe that they may be good investments over the long term. Please contact your financial advisor if you need financial advice. Ok then, let’s "get going already"! As always I will try to keep it simple and always entertaining!


I recently reviewed the, “The 400 Richest Americans”, a list printed by Forbes each year. I was surprised to see that thirteen Hedge fund owner/managers made the list. I wonder how many of them were on the list the previous year. Investing is real risky as it is but investing in hedge funds is like doing illegal drugs with the same consequences as if you are taking prescription drugs without a doctors prescription; a prime example of the risk is, Long Term Capital Management one of the first hedge funds to experience a meltdown and recently Amaranth, which had $9.2 billion in assets at the end of August, but lost roughly $6 billion last month after big natural gas trades went the wrong way. Wow, six (6) billion!

My thoughts: I think the energy markets are in a consolidation phase. I believe that the current gasoline and crude oil supply stocks are adequate for now but the market is still in some type of flux, an investor can still make money by selecting and holding quality asset plays going forward.

Our next posts will be links from around the web on what other analysts, researchers, and officials are projecting and saying about the energy markets.


Rick Walter
Editor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Old Reality is Still the New Reality

The Old Reality is Still the New Reality  Dodd Frank Illustration   I sat at my desk last week wondering what went wrong. Was I experiencing some type of trading depression? I checked my models, macro numbers, company profits, software, pricing etc. Some of my option contracts were either worthless or were on their way to being worthless.   The pricing of the contracts were not in-line with the actual underlying price of the securities that I was trading. The options' pricing per contract were either priced 40% or more above what the underlying security was worth or priced 40% or more below what the securities were worth. This old reality was still the new reality even after all of financial fixes implemented to fix these same problems that contributed to the financial meltdown in 2007-2008.   The new Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and ConsumerProtection Act which was supposed to clean up many of the abuses in the financial system such as accountability, transpare

What to Buy- Foreign vs Domestic funds?

Calm before the storm. At least that's what I've been reading. It seems that there is still not much buying. Much of the buying seems to be just shifting funds from one account to the next. It's called "churning" in broker turns. So, I wanted to see if anyone was buying, you know, new money. I clicked on over the Investment Company Institute website to see if they could shed some light on this matter. Based on their recent reports, "Estimated inflows to long-term mutual funds were $ 12.48 billion for the week ended Wednesday, June 10, 2009 ", versus $ 13.646 billion for the week of June 3. At least it wasn't negative. There is buying. As a matter of fact, buying has almost doubled compared to inflow numbers reported in May. I also noticed that Equity Foreign Funds had a larger percentage increase than other categories while Taxable Bond Funds had a noticeable percentage decrease in inflows as compared to the previous periods. Interesting. Are in